Servings: 8 cups
- 4 lb Mussels
- 2 shallots, coarsely chopped
- 2 small onions, quartered
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 cup dry white wine
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 tsp thyme
- 3 cup heavy cream
- 2 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Rinse mussels in a large bowl with cold water. Drain and hold.
- Place mussels in a large pot with the shallots, onion, parsley, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, wine, butter, bay leaf and thyme.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer 5-10 minutes, or until the Mussels have opened.
- Remove Mussels from shells to use as a garnish.
- Strain the liquid through a double thickness of cheesecloth.
- Bring liquid to a boil, and add cream.
- Return to boil, quickly add shelled Mussels and immediately remove from heat.