- 1 qt fish stock
- 1 pound Halibut cheeks, trimmed and halved if large
- 6T butter
- ¼ c flour
- 2 bulbs of fennel
- 2 t chopped parsley
- ¼ c cream
- 4 medium Idaho mashed potatoes with about 4 T butter mixed in. Held hot.
- 2 T unseasoned breadcrumbs
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Quarter the fennel bulb then cut into 1/2” pieces, separating the layers once cut.
- Bring the fish stock to the boil and cook the fennel in it for 6-7 minutes
- Remove fennel with a slotted spoon and let cool on a at room.
- Add the halibut cheeks to stock and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon. Strain and reserve the stock.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour; continue stirring on a low heat for 30 seconds.
- Gradually whisk in the hot stock, season, then simmer gently for 30-40 minutes, before adding the cream.
- Cook sauce over a low flame until thick.
- Mix the monkfish cheeks, fennel and parsley with the sauce, then transfer to a large pie dish or individual casseroles.
- Season the mashed potato, then spoon it on to the pies and scatter the breadcrumbs over.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until browned and the filling is hot.